Wednesday, 2 November 2016

More Weathered Boxcars

Slowly but surely, the fleet is nearing completion. I weathered a bunch of boxcars, mainly Roundhouse, Accurail, Athearn and Bachmann, including a custom painted PFE reefer.

I must say I'm almost jealous of Jérôme for running such a nice fleet. Weathered cars really bring life to operation in such a dramatic way!

Monday, 26 September 2016

A Few More Hoppers

Here are a few new hoppers to join the fleet.

The Nickel Plate Road twin hopper is an Accurail product decorated with CDS Lettering dry transfer.

The New Haven hopper is an old Life-Like car also decorated with CDS Lettering dry transfer. It is a car from Jérôme's original childhood trainset. It's back to its rightfull owner in a new livery. I kept the original trucks but installed body mounted Kadee coupler pockets.

Saturday, 24 September 2016

Pennsylvania 46ft Gondolas

A new pair of gondolas are weathered and ready to hit the rails. I'll probably weather the wood deck a little bit more with powders. I used the habitual technics including oil paint, acrylic washes and weathering powders.

Thursday, 22 September 2016

Pennsylvania Coal Hoppers

I completed a set of two Walthers Trainline 2-bay coal hoppers. Both were originally painted in Southern Pacific scheme and were repainted and relettered to PRR using CDS Lettering dry transfer. Also, all cast on grabirons were removed and replaced with thin 0,25mm styrene stripes.

Weathering is a mix of powders and light alcohol based washes. Simple, but it does the job. I made sure the weathering wasn't exactly identical on both car to better represent variety among the fleet.

Monday, 19 September 2016

New Power to Harlem: Erie #320

While things seem calm at Harlem, beware! I recently repainted an Atlas (old DC tooling) Alco S2 in Erie colors. This new switcher will replace the boxcab until it is ready to hit the rail.

I didn't bother to superdetail the locomotive since it was the operator's wish to keep thing simple and sturdy. Decals came from different diesel and steam sets by Microscale.

The headlight lense was missing but found it in the junk box after.

A light weathering was done according to prototype pictures to represent a well-maintained and fairly recent locomotive. While not a prize-winning model, I'm pretty sure it will gave hours of flawless operation due to its excellent drive. For your information, it is the Grand Trunk Western switcher a few of you spotted on previous operation pictures.

Meanwhile, I can announce the entire freight car fleet is now assembled. I need to weather about 16 cars and I'll consider this huge undertaking done once for all.